Study Guide Act 1
- Why might the playwright ask the director of the play to not change some things?
- From the description in Scene 1, what profession do you believe Austin is in?
- From page 5 to page 6, which brother do you think is the oldest? Why? (use a line from the play)
- Where is the brothers’ mom?
- At the bottom of page 6, where did Lee go?
5a. What is Lee’s reaction like when Austin tells him he had done the same?
- Based on the dialogue from page 7 to page 8, what line of work is Lee in?
- Because of this, why do you think Austin is hesitant to lend Lee his car?
- Why does Lee react so harshly when Austin offers him money?
- Where was Lee living before he came to his mother’s house?
- Why might Lee not want to go up north with Austin?
- What was Lee really doing when he found out his mother had locks on everything?
- What is Lee’s reaction when Austin offers him breakfast?
- Why did Lee go out to visit his father in the first place?
3a. How long was he in the desert for?
- Who is Austin expecting to come by later in the day?
- What kind of project does Austin say he is working on?
- Why does Austin want Lee to leave while his visitor visits?
- On page 14, what does Austin agree to do in order to get Lee out of his hair?
- What does Lee tell Austin to tell the producer if Austin’s project doesn’t workout?
- Who walks in during the middle of Saul and Austin’s conversation?
1a. What is he holding?
- Where does Lee invite Saul, at the bottom of page 16?
- How does Lee explain the stolen television to Saul?
- On page 18, what does Lee proceed to tell Saul?
- Why do you think Lee recounts the movie about the man dying for the love of a
- Why is Lee so pushy about the Western?
- What are the boys, Austin and Lee, doing as scene 4 begins?
- Briefly describe the story Lee is trying to tell.
- On page 22, what does Lee accuse Austin of being?
3a. Why does this not make sense?
- What does Lee threaten to do if Austin doesn’t write this outline for him?
- What does Lee say he ought to do instead of writing this outline, page 24?
- What does Lee believe about the work Austin does for a living?
- How does story, on page 27, relate to the overall story of True West?