- Of what profession is the narrator?
- In what time period is this story taking place? Use evidence from the text to back up your answer.
- What is wrong with the child? What does the narrator suspect it is at first?
- What won’t the girl let him do?
- How does the narrator react to the parent’s attempt to calm the girl? Why do you think he reacts like that?
- What is the girls reaction when the narrator tries to look in her throat?
- Why does the girl hide her sore throat? What would be the outcome if she succeeded?